Instant Pot™ Pork Carnitas Taco Bowls with Pickled Onions
Pork carnitas taco bowls AND pickled onions? SIGN. US. UP.
1 Hour 10 Minutes Prep
2 Hours 30 Minutes Total
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut in 4 pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup tomatillo salsa
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ pork carnitas slow cooker seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 packages Old El Paso™ soft flour tortilla bowls (16 total)
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- On 6-quart Instant Pot™, select SAUTE; adjust to normal. Heat oil in insert. Add pork; sear 3 to 5 minutes on all sides until browned. Add yellow onions and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened. Select CANCEL; stir in 3/4 cup tomatillo salsa and seasoning mix.
- Secure lid; set pressure valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL; cook on high pressure 90 minutes. Select CANCEL. Keep pressure valve in SEALING position to release pressure naturally.
- Transfer pork to cutting board; shred with two forks. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Discard remaining cooking liquid. Return pork, reserved cooking liquid and lime juice to the insert. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, beat water, vinegar, sugar and salt in medium bowl with whisk until sugar and salt dissolve. Add red onion; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Drain before using.
- Heat tortilla bowls as directed on package. Using slotted spoon or tongs, lift pork out of cooking liquid; divide among tortilla bowls. Top with remaining tomatillo salsa, pickled onions, Cotija cheese, avocados and cilantro.