Rita Can Chicken Taco Bowls
Prep 10 Minutes
Total 1 Hours 55 Minutes
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (8 oz) Bud Light Lime® Lime-A-Rita flavored malt beverage
- 1 whole small chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb)
- 1 package (6.7 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Soft Tortilla Bowls (8 Count), heated as directed on package
- Make it FRESH toppings, as desired (see below)
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat gas or charcoal grill for indirect cooking as directed by manufacturer.
- In medium bowl, mix taco seasoning mix and 2 tablespoons of the beverage. Brush mixture inside cavity of chicken and all over outside of chicken. Measure out 1/3 cup beverage; discard or reserve for another use. Holding chicken upright with larger opening of body cavity downward, insert can with remaining beverage into larger cavity.
- For two-burner gas grill, heat one burner to medium; place chicken with can upright on unheated side. For one-burner gas grill, place chicken on grill over low heat. For charcoal grill, move medium coals to edge of firebox; place chicken with can upright on grill rack over drip pan. Make sure chicken is balanced.
- Cover grill; cook 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads at least 165°F and legs move easily when lifted or twisted. Using tongs, carefully lift chicken to 13x9-inch pan, holding large metal spatula under can for support. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Remove can; discard.
- Chop chicken as desired for tacos. Place chicken in warmed tortillas; add desired toppings.
- Ideas for Make it FRESH toppings: guacamole, diced tomatoes, shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeño chiles
- To ensure chicken does not fall over on grill, make sure can is centered in chicken cavity. Press down when inserting can to ensure it is stable.
- 1 Serving Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 490mg; Potassium 170mg; Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 0g ,Sugars 0g); Protein 21g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet