Rita Can Chicken Taco Bowls
Try this amazing twist on beer can chicken--the lime flavor adds a great taste to this amazing chicken filling for tacos.
10 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 55 Minutes Total
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (8 oz) Bud Light Lime® Lime-A-Rita flavored malt beverage
- 1 whole small chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb)
- 8 Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls, heated as directed on package
- Make it FRESH toppings, as desired (see below)
- Heat gas or charcoal grill for indirect cooking as directed by manufacturer.
- In medium bowl, mix taco seasoning mix and 2 tablespoons of the beverage. Brush mixture inside cavity of chicken and all over outside of chicken. Measure out 1/3 cup beverage; discard or reserve for another use. Holding chicken upright with larger opening of body cavity downward, insert can with remaining beverage into larger cavity.
- For two-burner gas grill, heat one burner to medium; place chicken with can upright on unheated side. For one-burner gas grill, place chicken on grill over low heat. For charcoal grill, move medium coals to edge of firebox; place chicken with can upright on grill rack over drip pan. Make sure chicken is balanced.
- Cover grill; cook 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads at least 165°F and legs move easily when lifted or twisted. Using tongs, carefully lift chicken to 13x9-inch pan, holding large metal spatula under can for support. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Remove can; discard.
- Chop chicken as desired for tacos. Place chicken in warmed tortillas; add desired toppings.
- Ideas for Make it FRESH toppings: guacamole, diced tomatoes, shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeño chiles.
- To ensure chicken does not fall over on grill, make sure can is centered in chicken cavity. Press down when inserting can to ensure it is stable.
NutritionCalories220(Calories from Fat70),Total Fat8g(Saturated Fat2 1/2g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol60mgSodium490mgTotal Carbohydrate15g(Dietary Fiber0g Sugars0g),Protein21g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A6%;Vitamin C0%;Calcium4%;Iron8%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 2 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.