Apple Empanadas Mini Taco Bowls
Tender cinnamon-scented apples, drizzled with a cinnamon cream and caramel sauce, inside a crispy shell, deliver all the flavor of the traditional Mexican turnover.
10 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 25 Minutes Total
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 20 Old El Paso™ Taco Bowls™ mini soft flour tortillas (1 Party Pack)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup caramel topping
- In deep fat fryer or heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F. Add 3 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon to a 1-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Place bowls in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 minute on each side, using tongs to turn bowls halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain bowls upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet until slightly cool; toss 4 bowls at a time in cinnamon sugar to coat. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- In small bowl, beat sour cream, remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon with whisk. Set aside.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, mix apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the salt over medium-high heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and apples are tender.
- Divide apple mixture among fried bowls; top with cinnamon sour cream, and drizzle with caramel topping.
- Pears can be substituted for apples in this recipe.
- Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.
NutritionCalories190(Calories from Fat70),Total Fat7g(Saturated Fat2g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol0mgSodium135mgTotal Carbohydrate30g(Dietary Fiber1g Sugars21g),Protein1g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A0%;Vitamin C2%;Calcium4%;Iron0%; Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.