Apple Empanadas Mini Taco Bowls
Old El Paso™ brings our Tex Mex take on the perfect fall apple cinnamon taco dessert with these Apple Empanadas Mini Taco Bowls. This recipe bakes our Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Mini Bowls to make them warm and crispy and then dusts them with cinnamon sugar for an easy to fill, easy to eat apple pie taco dessert. Delicious Granny Smith apples are spiced and served up with cinnamon sour cream caramel sauce to make for a warm, delicious end to any taco night.
10 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 25 Minutes Total
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 20 Old El Paso™ Taco Bowls™ mini soft flour tortillas (1 Party Pack)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup caramel topping
- In deep fat fryer or heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F. Add 3 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon to a 1-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Place bowls in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 minute on each side, using tongs to turn bowls halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain bowls upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet until slightly cool; toss 4 bowls at a time in cinnamon sugar to coat. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- In small bowl, beat sour cream, remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon with whisk. Set aside.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, mix apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the salt over medium-high heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and apples are tender.
- Divide apple mixture among fried bowls; top with cinnamon sour cream, and drizzle with caramel topping.
- Pears can be substituted for apples in this recipe.
- Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.
NutritionCalories190(Calories from Fat70),Total Fat7g(Saturated Fat2g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol0mgSodium135mgTotal Carbohydrate30g(Dietary Fiber1g Sugars21g),Protein1g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A0%;Vitamin C2%;Calcium4%;Iron0%; Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.