Cheesy Mexican Skillet Cornbread
Prep 20 Minutes
Total 1 Hours
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 medium jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix (from 1-oz package)
- 2 pouches (6.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend (6 oz)
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, jalapeño and garlic; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add green chiles and taco seasoning mix; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In large bowl, mix both pouches cornbread mix, the eggs and milk. Add cooked vegetables from skillet (do not wipe out skillet) and cheese. Stir to combine, and pour back into same skillet.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of cornbread comes out clean.
- Run knife around edge of cornbread. Let cornbread cool 10 minutes. Cut into wedges, and serve.
- If you want some extra heat in your Cheesy Mexican Skillet Cornbread, substitute a finely chopped serrano chile for the jalapeño in this recipe.
- To add a little zing to your skillet cornbread, feel free to replace the Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend with Old El Paso™ Shredded 3 Pepper Cheese.
- Baking the cornbread in a cast-iron skillet gives it an extra crunchy crust.
- 1 Wedge Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 9g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 85mg; Sodium 700mg; Potassium 110mg; Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 1g ,Sugars 11g); Protein 10g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 20%; Iron 10%
- Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet