Cheesy Wonton Quesadillas
Prep 25 Minutes
Total Time 25 Minutes
- 1/4 cup canned Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
- 12 round (gyoza) wonton wrappers (from 12-oz package)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Recipe Continues Below
- In small bowl, mix beans, cumin, coriander and red pepper. Stir in cheese. Divide mixture evenly among wonton wrappers (about 1 tablespoon per wrapper); spread mixture evenly over half of each wrapper. Fold wrapper in half over filling; do not seal.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add wonton quesadillas to pan; cook uncovered 1 to 2 minutes or until browned in spots. Turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts and filling is hot.
- Transfer to serving platter; top with cilantro.
- To get the best crispy texture, wait until the pan is hot and the oil is sizzling before starting to fry your wontons.
- Prepare the filling ahead of time to make assembling and frying these fried cheese quesadillas a breeze! The bean and cheese filling can be made up to four hours ahead of time.
- Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the quesadillas. Give the filling 30 minutes on the counter at room temperature before using.
- Share these pan-fried quesadilla wontons with a crowd and add a few more spicy appetizers. While making your cheese wonton filling ahead of time, also prepare a tray of Chicken Enchilada Roll-Ups to stick in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
- Serve quesadilla frita wontons with salsa, chopped green onions and sour cream for a little nacho flair.
- 1 Quesadilla Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3 1/2g (Saturated Fat 2g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 55mg; Potassium 25mg; Total Carbohydrate 6g (Dietary Fiber 0g ,Sugars 0g); Protein 3g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 2%
- Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet