Easy Ranchero Beans
Prep 15 Minutes
Total 20 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeño chile, chopped
- 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked rice or tortilla chips, as desired
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until starting to soften. Stir in tomatoes and garlic, cooking until tomatoes release their juices. Stir in salt, lime juice, chile and beans. Cook until mixture comes to a simmer. Stir in cilantro; continue to simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve beans with rice or as a dip for tortilla chips. Top with cheese.
- 1 lime yields about 2 tablespoons juice and 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lime zest.
- When handling chiles, be sure to wear kitchen gloves to protect your hands and be careful not to touch your face or eyes. The seeds and membranes of chiles can cause burns. Always wash your hands thoroughly after handling chiles.
- Try other varieties of Old El Paso™ traditional refried beans, such as spicy fat free, green chiles and vegetarian refried beans.
- These beans are also amazing as a dip for tortilla chips.
- 1 Serving Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 35); Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 1g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 830mg; Potassium 160mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 6g ,Sugars 2g); Protein 6g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet