Easy Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Prep 30 Minutes
Total Time 1 Hours 10 Minutes
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups from 1 package (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- 1 package (8.2 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas for Soft Tacos & Fajitas (6 inch)
- 2 cans (10 oz each) Old El Paso™ Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
Make it FRESH toppings, as desired
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 container (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Crema Mexicana
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish or pan with cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds, stirring frequently, until softened. Stir in chili powder and spinach; cook 30 to 60 seconds to wilt.
- Remove from heat; pour into medium bowl. Stir in chickpeas and roasted potatoes. Let cool 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Place tortillas on work surface. Spread heaping 1/3 cup vegetable mixture down center of each tortilla. Wrap tortillas around filling; placing seam side down in sprayed baking dish. Top enchiladas with enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with remaining ingredients.
- Want a little more heat? Try Old El Paso™ Medium Red Enchilada Sauce in your Easy Sweet Potato Enchiladas.
- For this sweet potato enchilada recipe, look for sweet potatoes with red skin and orange flesh.
- Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Add a fresh squeeze of lime to your vegetarian sweet potato enchiladas, if desired.
- 2 Enchiladas Calories 550 (Calories from Fat 220); Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 11g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 1380mg; Potassium 450mg; Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 7g ,Sugars 9g); Protein 18g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 220%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 40%; Iron 20%
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 2 Vegetable; 1 Very Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet