Easy Tamale Bake
Enjoy the taste of tamales in this easy-to-throw-together version.
20 Minutes Prep
1 Hour Total
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky salsa (any variety)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- 1 pouch (6.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ cornbread & muffin mix
- Make it FRESH toppings, as desired (see below)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish or pan with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Sprinkle with taco seasoning mix; stir. Stir in salsa, chiles, corn, beans and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread & muffin mix batter as directed on pouch. Stir in remaining cheese. Pour beef mixture into baking dish; spread batter on top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cornbread topping is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into 3 rows by 3 rows; serve with Make it FRESH toppings.
- Ideas for Make it FRESH toppings: diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro leaves, green onions, diced avocado.
- Round out your meal with refried beans and a salad to make a complete meal.
NutritionCalories350(Calories from Fat150),Total Fat16g(Saturated Fat8g,Trans Fat1/2g),Cholesterol80mgSodium960mgTotal Carbohydrate33g(Dietary Fiber4g Sugars1g),Protein19g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A15%;Vitamin C4%;Calcium15%;Iron15%; Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.