Mexican Hash Brown Muffins
Move aside traditional sweet muffins, because these savory Mexican hash brown muffins are ready to steal the show at your next brunch! Our hash brown muffins are packed with Mexican seasoning and just the slightest spicy kick that the whole family will love. While we love these flavor-packed bites for a Saturday morning brunch, they also fit right in as an appetizer to pass around while cheering on your favorite sports team. Keep these simple and just top with a dollop of sour cream or double the heat by adding Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce.
15 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 30 Minutes Total
- 1 bag (20 oz) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oven to 400°F. Generously spray each of 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix potatoes, oil and taco seasoning mix. Divide evenly among cups; press lightly. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until deep brown.
- Top each muffin cup with green chiles, then sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Run knife around edges, and remove from muffin cups. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with green onion and cilantro.
- Switch up your cheese for a spicier blend. Our zesty Old El Paso™ Shredded 3 Pepper Cheese has the spice of three different kinds of peppers that bring the heat to your favorite Mexican recipe. If you are serving these hash brown muffins to a crowd, make half with the classic Mexican blend and half with spicy pepper cheese. Your guests will thank you for getting to choose their spice level!
- Impress your guests by piping a zigzag of sour cream on each muffin. Make your own piping bag by spooning sour cream into a 1-quart resealable food-storage plastic bag. Clip 1/4 inch from the corner of the bag and you are ready to add a little flair!
- Add a little heat to these Mexican hash brown muffins. Add seedless and finely chopped jalapenos instead of the green chiles before baking for an extra kick. Or just keep the recipe the same but keep it simply by serving the muffins with Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce.
- Bake a tray of delicious Easy Sheet-Pan Huevos Rancheros to complete your savory Mexican brunch.
1 Serving Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 150mg; Total Carbohydrate 18g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g); Protein 3g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 8%; Iron 2%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat;