Mexican Hasselback Tomatoes
Prep 25 Minutes
Total Time 45 Minutes
- 8 large plum (Roma) tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Being careful not to cut through the bottom, make 1/4-inch vertical slices in each tomato, leaving 1/2 inch base uncut.
- In small bowl, mix oil and taco seasoning mix. Brush all over tomatoes. Stuff chiles and green onions into slices in tomatoes; top chiles and onions with Monterey Jack cheese. Place in baking dish. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until cheese melts and tomatoes and filling are warmed through.
- Top with queso fresco cheese and cilantro. Serve warm.
- Serve with cilantro lime rice for a great, summery vegetarian dinner option.
- Most Roma tomatoes have a flatter side. To avoid rolling in the baking dish, try to turn the flatter side to the bottom. If some tomatoes still roll, make a ball of foil to prop up between the tomatoes.
- 1 Serving Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 300mg; Potassium 470mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 2g ,Sugars 6g); Protein 6g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 15%; Iron 4%
- Exchanges: 2 Vegetable; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet