- 10 premade empanada discs or readymade pie crusts cut into rounds (approximately 4 premade rolled crusts)
- 1 cup boiled chicken breast, diced or shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying.( amount varies on size of deep fryer or skillet)
Creamy Cilantro Lime Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 small onion minced
Step 1 For Empanadas Heat deep fryer to 350ºF.
Step 2 In a small bowl mix diced chicken, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Step 3 Take a small rounded tablespoon of seasoned chicken and place atop disc.
Step 4 Add a bit of cheese, and refried beans.
Step 5 Do not overstuff.
Step 6 Take each end of dough to fold over into half moon shape.
Step 7 Seal edges shut by pressing dough together, and then laying down on flat surface and using a fork to press in edges to seal.
Step 8 Fry empanadas a few at a time. Do not overcrowd fryer.
Step 9 Drain on paper towel. Keep warm on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 200ºF oven.
Step 10 Creamy Cilantro Lime Dip In a small food processor or bowl/cup of immersion blender, add all sour cream, lime, cilantro, and onion.
Step 11 Pulse to blend.
Step 12 Refrigerate until ready to serve with empanadas.
Expert TipsYou can use pre made refrigerated pie crust.
If you make your own empanada dough, try coloring it with annatto.
You can vary size of discs, empanadas, just remember not to overfill.
You can use leftover rotisserie chicken, or other meats as a filling with Old El Paso® Traditional Refried Beans, and Cheese of your choice.