Old El Paso® Refried Beans, Chicken, Cheese Empanadas with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dip
Prep 30 Minutes
Total 1 Hours
- 10 premade empanada discs or readymade pie crusts cut into rounds (approximately 4 premade rolled crusts)
- 1 cup boiled chicken breast, diced or shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying.( amount varies on size of deep fryer or skillet)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 small onion minced
Recipe Continues Below
- For Empanadas Heat deep fryer to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl mix diced chicken, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Take a small rounded tablespoon of seasoned chicken and place atop disc.
- Add a bit of cheese, and refried beans.
- Do not overstuff.
- Take each end of dough to fold over into half moon shape.
- Seal edges shut by pressing dough together, and then laying down on flat surface and using a fork to press in edges to seal.
- Fry empanadas a few at a time. Do not overcrowd fryer.
- Drain on paper towel. Keep warm on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 200ºF oven.
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dip In a small food processor or bowl/cup of immersion blender, add all sour cream, lime, cilantro, and onion.
- Pulse to blend.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve with empanadas.
- You can use pre made refrigerated pie crust.
- If you make your own empanada dough, try coloring it with annatto.
- You can vary size of discs, empanadas, just remember not to overfill.
- You can use leftover rotisserie chicken, or other meats as a filling with Old El Paso® Traditional Refried Beans, and Cheese of your choice.