Pierogi Mini Taco Bowls™
Caramelized onions and sharp Cheddar cheese give these mashed potato-filled bowls a distinctly pierogi flavor.
40 Minutes Prep
55 Minutes Total
- 2 medium boiling potatoes (about 3/4 lb)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Taco Bowls™ mini soft flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Scrub and peel potatoes. Cut into large pieces. In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1 inch water (salted, if desired) to boiling; add potatoes. Cover, and heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook potatoes 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Shake saucepan gently over low heat to dry potatoes.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Transfer 1/4 cup of the onions to cutting board; chop finely. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mash potatoes until no large lumps remain. Stir in milk, 1/4 cup of the cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Stir in finely chopped onions.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Brush insides of bowls with remaining melted butter; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 6 minutes. Spoon potato mixture evenly into warmed bowls. If potato mixture has cooled off, place filled bowls back in oven about 5 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining onions, cheese and small dollop sour cream. Serve warm.
- Different cheeses are fun to experiment with in this recipe. Try using Swiss cheese or even pepper Jack. Any cheese that melts well will work.
- Yukon Gold potatoes have a creamy texture and buttery flavor that works well in this recipe.
NutritionCalories280(Calories from Fat150),Total Fat16g(Saturated Fat9g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol35mgSodium510mgTotal Carbohydrate28g(Dietary Fiber2g Sugars3g),Protein7g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A8%;Vitamin C6%;Calcium15%;Iron4%; Exchanges:1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.