- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (3 lb)
- 1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso™ red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, drained
- 16 Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
Toppings, as desired
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream, if desired
Step 1 Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; add onion slices.
Step 2 In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Sprinkle taco seasoning mix over pork shoulder, pressing to coat. Brown pork in oil on all sides; remove from skillet to slow cooker. Pour enchilada sauce on top of pork.
Step 3 Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until tender. Remove pork from slow cooker; shred meat with fork. Place shredded pork in large bowl. Add chiles, 2 cups of the sauce from slow cooker and the onions; stir well.
Step 4 Spoon pork mixture onto tortillas. Add toppings. Roll up tortillas.
NutritionCalories530(Calories from Fat240),Total Fat27g(Saturated Fat8g,Trans Fat1 1/2g),Cholesterol110mgSodium1050mgTotal Carbohydrate32g(Dietary Fiber1g Sugars3g),Protein40g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A4%;Vitamin C6%;Calcium8%;Iron15%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Expert TipsAny leftover carnitas filling is just as delicious the next day on tacos, in enchiladas, or even on pasta!
Play around with different topping to create your favorite carnita!