Using a slow cooker will create a delicious, authentic dish with very little hands-on time. By Betty Crocker Kitchens
15 Minutes Prep
4 Hours 30 Minutes Total
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (3 lb)
- 1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso™ red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, drained
- 16 Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream, if desired
- Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; add onion slices.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Sprinkle taco seasoning mix over pork shoulder, pressing to coat. Brown pork in oil on all sides; remove from skillet to slow cooker. Pour enchilada sauce on top of pork.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until tender. Remove pork from slow cooker; shred meat with fork. Place shredded pork in large bowl. Add chiles, 2 cups of the sauce from slow cooker and the onions; stir well.
- Spoon pork mixture onto tortillas. Add toppings. Roll up tortillas.
- Any leftover carnitas filling is just as delicious the next day on tacos, in enchiladas, or even on pasta!
- Play around with different topping to create your favorite carnita!
NutritionCalories530(Calories from Fat240),Total Fat27g(Saturated Fat8g,Trans Fat1 1/2g),Cholesterol110mgSodium1050mgTotal Carbohydrate32g(Dietary Fiber1g Sugars3g),Protein40g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A4%;Vitamin C6%;Calcium8%;Iron15%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.