Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Breakfast Casserole
3 Hours 45 Minutes Total
- 10 Servings
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (from 30-oz bag)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions, Old El Paso™ salsa, chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Spray 5- to 6-quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook pork over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water. Cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly to coat.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and half-and-half with whisk. Stir in green chiles, shredded cheeses, hash brown potatoes and seasoned cooked pork. Carefully stir in cream cheese cubes. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Cover insert with large kitchen towel. Place slow-cooker lid on top of towel. (This will prevent condensation from dripping during cooking.)
- Cook on High heat setting 3 to 3 1/2 hours, rotating insert after 1 1/2 hours. Cook until casserole is set and temperature in center is 165°F. Top with remaining ingredients.
- Rotating your slow cooker insert halfway through cook time helps prevent casserole from getting too brown around edges.
- Take it up a notch by adding 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) to the taco seasoning mix.
- Serve with freshly diced jalapeño chiles for additional spicy heat.
1 Serving: Calories 500 (Calories from Fat 290); Total Fat 32g (Saturated Fat 16g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 245mg; Sodium 630mg; Potassium 580mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 4g); Protein 25g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 35%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1 Starch, 0 Fruit, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 0 Skim Milk, 0 Low-Fat Milk, 0 Milk, 0 Vegetable, 0 Very Lean Meat, 1 Lean Meat, 2 High-Fat Meat, 2 1/2 Fat