Veggie and Bean Enchiladas
35 Minutes Total
- 4 Servings
- 1 jar (16-oz) medium salsa
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 onion, halved and sliced very thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed per package directions
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the salsa, vegetable stock and flour in a blender and blend until it’s completely smooth.
- Scrape down the sides as needed to get it just right.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red peppers and onions to the skillet. Season well with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, until softened. The onions should be translucent. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro.
- Meanwhile, pour half of the salsa-based sauce into an oven-safe rectangle pan. Tilt the pan to spread the sauce all around so that it’s in one even layer. Lay the warmed tortillas out on a work surface and divide the refried beans evenly among them. Top each with 1/8 of the spinach and 1/8 of the peppers and onions mixture. Roll up and place seam-side down in the pan. Repeat until all the tortillas are in the pan. Pour the remaining sauce over, taking care to cover each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve immediately with sliced avocado.
- Substitute vegetarian refried beans for the original, if desired, to make this a vegetarian meal. Like a lot of heat? Then use hot salsa instead of medium!