- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1 jar (16 oz) Old El Paso™ Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ 40% less-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
Step 1 Heat oven to 350°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat to medium. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
Step 2 In ungreased 2-quart casserole, place 2 cups of the broken tortilla chips. Top evenly with beef mixture. Sprinkle with bell pepper, onions, 1 cup of the tomato, the cheese and olives.
Step 3 Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Top baked casserole with lettuce, remaining 1/2 cup tomato and remaining 1/2 cup tortilla chips.
NutritionCalories510(Calories from Fat220),Total Fat24g(Saturated Fat10g,Trans Fat1g),Cholesterol85mgSodium1720mgTotal Carbohydrate44g(Dietary Fiber7g Sugars6g),Protein29g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A35%;Vitamin C25%;Calcium20%;Iron25%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:3 *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Expert TipsThis is an easy recipe to take and bake. Just save the toppings to take and serve with the hot casserole.
In place of the Cheddar cheese, try using a taco-flavored cheese.