Beef and Bean Tortilla Bake
Dig in to dinner in less than an hour, when this tasty taco casserole is on the menu. By Betty Crocker Kitchens
20 Minutes Prep
50 Minutes Total
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope (1 oz) Old El Paso™ 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 3 spinach-flavor flour tortillas (8 inch), cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning mix and water. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- In 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish, spread 2 cups of the beef mixture. Top with half of the tortilla strips. Spoon half of the remaining beef mixture over tortilla strips. Add remaining tortilla strips; top with remaining beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into squares.
- Top this Tex-Mex casserole with your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, tomato, guacamole and/or salsa.