Beef and Bean Tortilla Bake
Prep 20 Minutes
Total 50 Minutes
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1 packet (1 oz) Old El Paso™ 25% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 3 spinach-flavor flour tortillas (8 inch), cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning mix and water. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- In 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish, spread 2 cups of the beef mixture. Top with half of the tortilla strips. Spoon half of the remaining beef mixture over tortilla strips. Add remaining tortilla strips; top with remaining beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into squares.
- Top this Tex-Mex casserole with your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, tomato, guacamole and/or salsa.
- 1 Serving Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g ,Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 910mg; Potassium 1070mg; Total Carbohydrate 56g (Dietary Fiber 13g ,Sugars 8g); Protein 35g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 25%; Iron 35%
- Exchanges: 3 Starch; 1 Vegetable; 3 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet