Beef Brisket Taco Bowls
Prep 35 Minutes
Total Time 6 Hours 35 Minutes
- 1 onion, halved, sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 lb fresh beef brisket (not corned beef), trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (from 14-oz bag)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño chile, halved and seeded
- 1 package (6.7 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Soft Tortilla Bowls (8 Count)
- Sliced jalapeños, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer onion slices in slow cooker. In small bowl, stir chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, the paprika, 1 tablespoon salt and the pepper until blended. Rub into brisket; place in slow cooker. Sprinkle any remaining rub on top of meat. In small bowl, stir brown sugar, ketchup, water and cider vinegar until blended. Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender and can easily be sliced.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add coleslaw mix, red pepper and chopped jalapeño chile. Cover; reserve in refrigerator until needed.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Discard sauce, or heat as directed in tip. Heat boats as directed on package. Thinly slice brisket into small slices to fit into boats; divide among warmed boats, and top with coleslaw. Garnish with sliced jalapeños.
- Short of time? Use prepared coleslaw to top these bowls.
- Texas brisket is typically served dry, but if a sauce is desired, take remaining liquid from slow cooker after beef is removed, and skim off the fat. In 2-quart saucepan, cook liquid over high heat until reduced to sauce consistency.
- 1 Serving Calories 490 (Calories from Fat 230); Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 7g ,Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 115mg; Sodium 1390mg; Potassium 530mg; Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 3g ,Sugars 7g); Protein 39g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 6%; Iron 25%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet