- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls
- 1 cup (from 16-oz can) Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (4 oz)
- Shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa, if desired
Step 1 In deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F.
Step 2 Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Add drained tomatoes, chiles, chili powder and cumin. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened and liquid has reduced. Remove from heat.
Step 3 Using fork, poke holes several times in bottom of each bowl. Place bowls in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 to 2 minutes, using tongs to turn bowls halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain bowls upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
Step 4 Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans over bottom of each fried bowl. Add heaping 1/3 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese to each bowl. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
NutritionCalories360(Calories from Fat210),Total Fat23g(Saturated Fat7g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol50mgSodium470mgTotal Carbohydrate20g(Dietary Fiber3g Sugars3g),Protein17g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A10%;Vitamin C8%;Calcium15%;Iron15%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 3 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Expert TipsUsing a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.
Try Monterey Jack cheese for a new flavor twist!