Beef Chimichanga Taco Bowls
Prep 35 Minutes
Total Time 35 Minutes
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls
- 1 cup from 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (4 oz)
- Shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- In deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F.
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Add drained tomatoes, chiles, chili powder and cumin. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened and liquid has reduced. Remove from heat.
- Using fork, poke holes several times in bottom of each boat. Place boats in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 to 2 minutes, using tongs to turn boats halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain boats upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
- Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans over bottom of each fried boat. Add heaping 1/3 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese to each boat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
- Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.
- Try Monterey Jack cheese for a new flavor twist!
- 1 Serving Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 210); Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 7g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 470mg; Potassium 260mg; Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 3g ,Sugars 3g); Protein 17g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 15%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 3 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet