Prep 20 Minutes
Total 45 Minutes
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, well drained
- 1 box (14.1 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 Count), softened as directed on box
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz)
- 1 egg, beaten
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in chili powder, salt and tomatoes. Remove from heat.
- On ungreased large cookie sheet, unroll pie crusts. Spoon about 2 cups beef mixture onto half of each crust, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Brush edge of each crust with beaten egg. Fold untopped half of each crust over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Cut slits in several places in top of each; brush with beaten egg.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.
- If you like cilantro, chop 2 tablespoons, and add it to the empanada filling with the tomatoes.
- 1 Serving Calories 480 (Calories from Fat 250); Total Fat 28g (Saturated Fat 12g ,Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 100mg; Sodium 720mg; Potassium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 36g (Dietary Fiber 1g ,Sugars 2g); Protein 19g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch; 4 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet