Enjoy dinner tonight with these delicious ground beef and vegetable empanadas recipe that's baked using Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts - ready in just 45 minutes. By Pillsbury Kitchens
20 Minutes Prep
45 Minutes Total
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, well drained
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in chili powder, salt and tomatoes. Remove from heat.
- On ungreased large cookie sheet, unroll pie crusts. Spoon about 2 cups beef mixture onto half of each crust, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Brush edge of each crust with beaten egg. Fold untopped half of each crust over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Cut slits in several places in top of each; brush with beaten egg.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.
- If you like cilantro, chop 2 tablespoons, and add it to the empanada filling with the tomatoes.
NutritionCalories480(Calories from Fat250),Total Fat28g(Saturated Fat12g,Trans Fat1/2g),Cholesterol100mgSodium720mgTotal Carbohydrate36g(Dietary Fiber1g Sugars2g),Protein19g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A10%;Vitamin C10%;Calcium10%;Iron10%; Exchanges:2 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 4 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.