Black Bean, Rice and Queso Mini Tacos
Tacos can be for any time, and these loaded mini vegetarian tacos bring a combination of flavor and fun while being easy to assemble and an excellent pick for dinner time or appetizers. Black beans, rice and green chiles fill each mini taco bowl, and Old El Paso's Creamy Queso Sauce™ adds a splash of Tex Mex-flavor. Sprinkle on some cheese and everyone in the family will love this meatless twist on a mini taco recipe.
25 Minutes Prep
40 Minutes Total
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package (12 count) Old El Paso™ Mini Soft Tortilla Bowls
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ ™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/3 cup Old El Paso™ Creamy Queso sauce
- In 1 to 1 1/2-quart saucepan, heat white rice and water to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Fluff with fork; stir in butter, lime juice and cilantro. Cover and set aside.
- Heat oven to 375°F. In ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish, place tortilla bowls.
- In medium bowl, mix beans and green chiles. Divide rice mixture evenly among tortilla bowls; top each with 2 teaspoons of the cheese. Divide bean mixture evenly among tortilla bowls; top each with remaining cheese.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. Top with pico de gallo and sauce.
- Salsa may be substituted for the pico de gallo in this recipe.
- Precooked rice is available for purchase in the frozen section of the grocery store and is a convenient alternative to the cooked rice in this recipe. You may also use 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked rice, heated in microwave.
- Variation: Try Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde sauce as an alternative to the creamy queso sauce.
Nutrition6 servings (2 mini tacos each)
1 Serving Calories 330 (Calories from Fat 100); Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 740mg; Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 2g); Protein 11g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 20%; Iron 15%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Vegetable, 1 High-Fat Meat, 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 3