Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Prep 5 Minutes
Total Time 45 Minutes
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chilies (or salsa)
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 (8-inch) Old El Paso™ flour tortillas
- 1 (6 oz.) package grated Mexican four cheese blend
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
Recipe Continues Below
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and cook the onion until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken, enchilada sauce (reserving 1/4 cup for later), buffalo sauce, tomatoes with green chilies, salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes just until heated through.
- Pour the reserved 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Lay two flour tortillas over it, overlapping each other at the center. Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortilla shells. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Mexican cheese and 1/3 of the blue cheese. Repeat the layers two more times, ending with the Mexican and blue cheese on top.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- One (15- to 16-oz) jar of chunky tomato salsa can be substituted for the diced tomatoes in this chicken enchilada casserole recipe.
- Top Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Casserole with sliced green onions and chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve casserole with carrot sticks, celery and crema Mexicana or sour cream to soothe taste buds from the heat.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet