Carne Asada Steak and Egg Breakfast Street Tacos
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Carne Asada Steak Street Taco Kit
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 boneless beef sirloin steaks (about 8 oz each), 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican Blend (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup Old El Paso™ Crema Mexicana
- In small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix (from taco kit); set aside.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and remaining seasoning mix; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer mixture to medium bowl; cover and keep warm. Carefully clean out skillet.
- Coat steaks in 1 tablespoon of the oil. In same skillet, cook steaks over medium-high heat 4 minutes; turn, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 4 to 7 minutes longer, until meat thermometer inserted in center reads 145°F (medium-rare) or to desired doneness. Remove from heat; transfer steaks to cutting board. Brush steaks on all sides with mixture of oil and seasoning mix; cover with foil, and let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak very thinly across the grain.
- Meanwhile, carefully clean out skillet; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add eggs; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until eggs are set but still moist, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Heat tortillas (from taco kit) as directed on package. Divide steak among tortillas; top with egg mixture, followed by pepper mixture. Top with cilantro. Serve with creamy chipotle sauce (from taco kit) and crema.
- Cleaning out the skillet in between steps not only prevents burning–it also ensures the prettiest steak and scrambled eggs!
- Brushing the cooked steaks with the vegetable oil and seasoning mix is a great way to add flavor to the meat while keeping the pan tidy. Try this technique with other flavorings as well, like chimichurri sauce or a citrus vinaigrette.
- Resist the urge to add salt and pepper to the scrambled eggs. There’s enough seasoning in the veggies and on the steak to flavor the entire breakfast street taco.
1 Serving (3 Tacos) Calories 720 (Calories from Fat 380); Total Fat 43g (Saturated Fat 17g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 295mg; Sodium 1150mg; Total Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 6g); Protein 42g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 35%; Iron 35%;
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Vegetable, 4 Lean Meat, 1 High-Fat Meat, 4 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 3