Cheesy Chicken Taco Chowder
Prep 20 Minutes
Total Time 50 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 medium jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 package (8 oz) Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican 4 Cheese Blend (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter, onions, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic; cook and stir about 6 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour and taco seasoning mix; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, potatoes and green chiles; heat to simmering. Reduce heat to low; cook uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Add half-and-half and chicken; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, making sure not to boil after cheese is added.
- Ladle chowder into bowls; serve with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, the tortilla chips, green onions and tomatoes.
- Chopped cilantro would also make a delicious garnish for this cheesy chicken chowder.
- If you like more heat in your Cheesy Chicken Taco Chowder, substitute a serrano chile for the jalapeño.
- It's fun to serve the garnishes for this soup on the side and let each diner choose what they'd like to add to their bowl.
- 1 Bowl Calories 590 (Calories from Fat 300); Total Fat 34g (Saturated Fat 18g ,Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 130mg; Sodium 1180mg; Potassium 880mg; Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 4g ,Sugars 9g); Protein 29g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 40%; Iron 20%
- Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Very Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 5 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet