Cheesy Layered Mexican Bake
Enjoy this cheesy Mexican lasagna that’s made with sausage, beef and beans – a hearty dinner. By Betty Crocker Kitchens
25 Minutes Prep
35 Minutes Total
- 1/2 lb bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 lb ground beef round
- 1 can (15 oz) ranch-style pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce
- 9 soft corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese (8 oz)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- Sour cream, if desired
- Fresh cilantro leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage and beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in beans, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- In 2-quart saucepan, stir together soups and enchilada sauce. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon one-third of the sauce into baking dish; top with 3 of the tortillas. Spoon half of the meat mixture over tortillas; top with another one-third of the sauce and 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese. Top with 3 tortillas. Repeat layers with remaining meat mixture, sauce, Cheddar cheese and tortillas. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Top with tomato, onions, avocado and dollop of sour cream. Garnish with cilantro.
NutritionCalories556,Total Fat36g(Saturated Fat15g,),Sodium1637mgTotal Carbohydrate31g(Dietary Fiber7 1/2g),Protein27g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A0%;Vitamin C0%;Calcium0%;Iron0%;
Exchanges:1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.