Chicken and Veggie Fajitas
Prep 30 Minutes
Total Time 30 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced red or yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 package (8.2 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas For Soft Tacos & Fajitas (6 inch), heated as directed on package
Make if FRESH toppings, as desired
- 1 package (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- Sliced jalapeño chiles
- Chopped tomatoes
- Lime wedges
- 1 bottle (9 oz) Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- 1 container (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Crema Mexicana
- Pico de gallo salsa
Recipe Continues Below
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Spoon vegetables onto platter; cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink in center. Stir in water and taco seasoning mix; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Add to platter with vegetables.
- To serve, fill tortillas with warmed chicken, bell pepper mixture and your favorite toppings.
- For best results, pat chicken slices dry before adding to a hot skillet.
- Try Old El Paso™ Shredded 3 Pepper Cheese Blend to replace Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend for a little extra heat for your chicken fajitas.
- Short on time? Use 3 cups frozen pepper and onion stir-fry blend to replace fresh bell peppers and onions. Cook according to package directions; add to platter, and cover to keep warm. Continue with recipe.
- Fajitas are almost infinitely customizable, so set out your favorite toppings so people can make their own perfect fajita combos.
- The word “fajita” is the diminutive form of the Spanish “faja,” which means “strip” or “belt.” So “fajitas” literally means “little strips.”
- 2 Fajitas Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 120); Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 4g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 680mg; Potassium 260mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 2g ,Sugars 2g); Protein 24g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet