Chicken Quesadillas with Avocado Salsa
Prep 45 Minutes
Total Time 45 Minutes
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ chicken taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (11 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas for Burritos (8 Count)
- 1 1 package (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Shredded Quesadilla Cheese
Recipe Continues Below
- In medium bowl, place avocados, tomato, cilantro, jalapeño chile, lime juice and salt. Stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add taco seasoning mix and water. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to bowl. Carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
- Brush one side of each tortilla lightly with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Place tortillas on work surface, oil side down. On half of each tortilla, layer slightly less than 1/4 cup of the cheese and slightly less than 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. Fold tortillas in half.
- Heat same skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in skillet; cook about 1 minute or until golden brown. Carefully turn quesadilla; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla in half. Top with avocado salsa.
- Old El Paso™ creamy salsa verde sauce makes a nice, slightly spicy garnish for the quesadillas.
- If you’d like your avocado salsa spicy, just substitute serrano chile for the jalapeño in this recipe. If you like it even spicier, don’t seed the chile before chopping.
- 1 Serving Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 210); Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 8g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 780mg; Potassium 360mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 3g ,Sugars 2g); Protein 22g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 20%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet