Crispy Carnitas Nachos
4 Hours 20 Minutes Total
- 8 Servings
- 3 lb boneless pork butt or shoulder blade roast
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 cups Food Should Taste Good™ chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- Make it FRESH toppings, as desired (see below)
- To make Carnitas: Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; trim roast of excess fat, and place in slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning mix, reserving 1 tablespoon for nachos. Pour chicken broth over roast. Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 to 5 hours, or Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours, or until tender. Remove from slow cooker, and shred with fork. Reserve 2 cups shredded pork for nachos. Save remaining for another use.
- To make Nachos: Heat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil, and spray with cooking spray. Spread half of chips evenly in pan.
- In small bowl, mix cheese and reserved tablespoon of taco seasoning mix. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over chips. Drop half of reserved carnitas mixture over chips, followed by half of green chiles. Repeat layers.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with toppings; serve immediately.
- Ideas for Make it FRESH toppings: Sriracha sauce, sour cream, salsa, sliced green onions, fresh lime wedges.
Calories600(Calories from Fat330),Total Fat37g(Saturated Fat14g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol135mgSodium750mgTotal Carbohydrate24g(Dietary Fiber1g Sugars0g),Protein45g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A10%;Vitamin C6%;Calcium20%;Iron15%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 5 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 5 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1 1/2 *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.