Crispy Carnitas Nachos
Prep 40 Minutes
Total 4 Hours 20 Minutes
- 3 lb boneless pork butt or shoulder blade roast
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 cups Food Should Taste Good™ chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
Make it FRESH toppings, as desired
- Sriracha sauce
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Fresh lime wedges
Recipe Continues Below
- To make Carnitas: Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; trim roast of excess fat, and place in slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning mix, reserving 1 tablespoon for nachos. Pour chicken broth over roast. Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 to 5 hours, or Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours, or until tender. Remove from slow cooker, and shred with fork. Reserve 2 cups shredded pork for nachos. Save remaining for another use.
- To make Nachos: Heat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil, and spray with cooking spray. Spread half of chips evenly in pan.
- In small bowl, mix cheese and reserved tablespoon of taco seasoning mix. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over chips. Drop half of reserved carnitas mixture over chips, followed by half of green chiles. Repeat layers.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with toppings; serve immediately.
- 1 Serving Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 330); Total Fat 37g (Saturated Fat 14g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 135mg; Sodium 750mg; Potassium 550mg; Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 1g ,Sugars 0g); Protein 45g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 20%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 5 Very Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 5 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet