Easy Carnitas Tacos
35 Minutes Total
- 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Taco Bowls™ soft flour tortillas (8 bowls)
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ refried beans (from 16-oz can), heated
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork and onion; cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until pork is no longer pink.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and oregano; stir in orange juice. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in lime juice.
- Meanwhile, heat bowls as directed on package. Spread refried beans in bottoms of bowls. Divide pork mixture among bowls. Top with tomato, queso fresco cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Like it hot? Top with sliced jalapeño chiles or a few drops of hot sauce.
- Bottled orange juice is fine to use in this recipe but with lime juice, freshness really makes a difference. So if at all possible, opt for fresh-squeezed lime juice.
1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 140); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 600mg; Potassium 330mg; Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 2g); Protein 15g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 3 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2