Easy Chicken Posole Verde
Prep 8 Minutes
Total 28 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cans (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14-ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more/less to taste
- garnishes: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, thinly-sliced or julienned radishes, lime wedges
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and poblano and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced green chiles, chicken stock, hominy, chicken, cumin and salt, and stir to combine.
- Continue heating until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 minutes. Taste, and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, topped with your desired garnishes.
- Not a fan of hominy? You can use canned corn instead.
- For a little added crunch, serve this easy green chicken posole with your favorite tortilla chips.
- Like a little heat? Top the posole with thinly-sliced jalapeño or serrano peppers.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet