Easy Slow-Cooker Chicken al Pastor Tacos
Get ready to add a new recipe to your list of slow-cooker favorites! This easy dinner uses tender chicken thighs and canned pineapple for a fun riff on al Pastor that the whole family will love.
25 Minutes Prep
3 Hours 55 Minutes Total
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ Al Pastor Taco Seasoning Mix
- 20 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (8 oz) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- 1 1/4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 package (10 count) Old El Paso™ Stand ‘N Stuff™ Taco Shells, heated as directed on package
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- In large bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, the salt, cumin and pepper. Add yellow onion and bell pepper; toss to coat. Spray oval 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread vegetable mixture in bottom of slow cooker.
- In same bowl, mix remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil and the taco seasoning mix. Add chicken; turn to coat. Place chicken in single layer over vegetables.
- Pour drained pineapple over chicken. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred (at least 165°F).
- Drain chicken and vegetables, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; discard remaining cooking liquid. Shred chicken with two forks; return to slow cooker, and toss shredded chicken and vegetables in reserved cooking liquid to coat.
- Divide cabbage among heated taco shells; top with chicken and vegetables, cheese, green onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs are not only more flavorful than breasts—they also stay more tender with longer cooking.
- Shredded iceberg lettuce makes a nice substitute for the shredded cabbage.
Nutrition10 servings (1 taco each)
1 Taco Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 100); Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 420mg; Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 15g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 10%; Iron 6%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Very Lean Meat, 2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 1