Easy Taco Casserole
Prep 20 Minutes
Total 50 Minutes
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz) chili beans in sauce, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ 25% less sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips
- 8 medium green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
- Additional tortilla chips, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat to medium; heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- In ungreased 1 1/2- to 2-quart casserole, place tortilla chips. Top evenly with beef mixture. Sprinkle with onions, tomato and cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Arrange additional tortilla chips around edge of casserole.
- If desired, you can customize this taco casserole recipe by substituting ground turkey or ground pork for the beef—just make sure to use a non-stick skillet so these leaner ground meats don't stick to the pan.
- Garnish your taco casserole with additional sliced green onions and chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
- Like it hot? Top this dish with sliced jalapeño peppers or serve with your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 Serving Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 190); Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 8g ,Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 1060mg; Potassium 470mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 6g ,Sugars 3g); Protein 27g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 25%; Iron 25%
- Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 High-Fat Meat; 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet