Grilled Steak Tacos with Green Chile Chimichurri
Prep 25 Minutes
Total 1 Hours 30 Minutes
- 1 lb beef skirt steak
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut in 3/4-inch thick wedges with root end intact
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 package (8 count) Old El Paso™ Taco Bowls™ flour tortillas, removed from package and wrapped in heavy-duty foil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese
- Lime wedges
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.
- Combine steak with 2 tablespoons of the oil, the taco seasoning mix and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in large resealable food-storage plastic bag. Seal bag; turn to evenly coat. Place in refrigerator to marinate 45 minutes.
- Brush onion wedges with remaining tablespoon of oil; season with chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Combine Chimichurri ingredients in blender; puree until nearly smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed. Reserve in refrigerator.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak and onions on grill over medium heat (350°F to 400°F); cover grill. Cook steak over medium heat 9 to 11 minutes, turning once, for medium doneness (135°F internal temperature) or until desired doneness. Grill onions 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until softened and lightly charred. Turn grill to low (250°F to 300°F). Transfer steak and onions to cutting board; let rest 10 minutes.
- Place wrapped bowls on low grill; heat 6 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Cut steak into thin strips across the grain; then cut strips into bite-size pieces. Toss with remaining 2 teaspoons lime juice. Chop onions, discarding onion roots.
- Divide steak and onions among warm bowls. Spoon chimichurri sauce over steak; top with diced tomato and Cotija cheese. Serve with lime wedges and desired fresh toppings.
- Try these additional fresh toppings: sliced radishes, sour cream or avocado.
- Cutting the steak in thin strips across the grain is the best way to enjoy skirt steak.
1 Serving: Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 170); Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 610mg; Potassium 220mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 14g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Vegetable, 1 Lean Meat, 3 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2