Instant Pot™ Beef Barbacoa
Make your favorite burrito, bowl or tacos at home with this easy Instant Pot™ barbacoa. It’s full of slow-cooked flavor without the day-long cook or barbecue pit!
30 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 25 Minutes Total
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lb beef stew meat
- 1 cup Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton) SAVE $
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped red onions
- Spray 6-quart Instant Pot™ insert with cooking spray. Select SAUTE; adjust to normal. Heat oil in insert. Add beef in 2 batches; cook 2 to 4 minutes on first side until browned. Turn; cook 2 to 4 minutes on second side until browned. Select CANCEL. Return beef to insert.
- Add broth, chiles in adobo sauce, garlic, taco seasoning mix, cumin, coriander and salt to beef in insert. Stir in onions.
- Secure lid; set pressure valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL; cook on high pressure 45 minutes. Select CANCEL. Set pressure valve to VENTING to quick-release pressure.
- Shred beef; toss with 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Discard any remaining cooking liquid.
- This beef is so tender, it can be shredded by just pressing down on the meat with a dinner fork.
- Can’t find beef stew meat? Substitute a 2 1/2- to 3-lb boneless beef chuck roast. Cut in 1 1/2- to 2-inch cubes, and trim off any large pieces of fat before browning.