Make-Ahead Chicken and Bean Burritos
Prep 30 Minutes
Total Time 30 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded deli rotisserie chicken
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans (from 16-oz can)
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 package (11 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas For Burritos (8 inch)
- 1 cup from 1 package (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Shredded 3 Pepper Blend Cheese
Recipe Continues Below
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook chicken, water, taco seasoning mix and green chiles over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is heated through. Remove from heat.
- Heat beans as directed on can. In small bowl, stir hot rice, butter and cilantro to combine.
- To assemble burritos, heat tortillas as directed on package. Spread 2 tablespoons of the beans in middle of each tortilla, leaving 1-inch border around edges. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over beans. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture and 2 tablespoons rice evenly down center of each.
- Roll up each tortilla tightly to secure filling. (Fold bottom of each tortilla 1 inch over filling. Fold sides in, overlapping to enclose filling. Fold top over sides.) Serve immediately, or freeze as directed below.
- To freeze: Wrap each burrito in foil. Label 1-gallon resealable freezer plastic bag. Transfer burritos in single layer to bag; remove as much air as possible, and freeze up to 1 month.
- To heat: Remove 1 burrito from foil, and wrap in lightly dampened paper towel. Place on microwavable plate; microwave uncovered on High 3 minutes to 4 minutes 30 seconds, turning wrapped burrito over every minute, until heated through (at least 165°F).
- Try serving burritos with fresh toppings like chopped green onions or a fresh squeeze of lime.
- Add some extra flavor by drizzling on Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce or Old El Paso™ Crema Mexicana.
- Precooked rice is available for purchase in your grocery store's frozen section and is a convenient alternative to the cooked rice in this recipe. You may also use 1 cup leftover cooked rice, heated in the microwave until hot.
- When reheating your frozen chicken and bean burrito, be sure to turn over the burrito every minute while microwaving to make sure it heats evenly.
- 1 Burrito Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 120); Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 7g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 840mg; Potassium 200mg; Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 2g ,Sugars 0g); Protein 20g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Very Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet