Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top
Bored of the same ol’ breakfast every morning? This irresistible hash brown casserole will pull you out of your rut – golden crunchy potato crust and tender layers of eggs, cheese, tortilla, peppers and chiles.
10 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 15 Minutes Total
- 16 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 large Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4.5 ounce can Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 packet Old El Paso™ Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup crema (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a large 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the tortillas in to 1/2 inch by 1 inch strips. Whisk the eggs thoroughly in a large bowl. Then mix in the shredded cheese, chopped bell pepper, chiles, 1 cup chopped green onions, salt and tortillas. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the shredded potato with the Old El Paso™ Taco Seasoning. Then drizzle the butter over the top of the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the shredded potatoes over the egg mixture in an even layer. Then place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until the center is puffed up and the hash brown top is crispy. Serve warm, drizzled with crema and sprinkled with green onions if desired.