Mexican Hot Chocolate
Prep 15 Minutes
Total 15 Minutes
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
Toppings, as desired
- Whipped cream
- Ground cinnamon
- Grated dark chocolate
Recipe Continues Below
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix Hot Chocolate ingredients over medium-low heat. Cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until chocolate is melted and mixture is hot, but not boiling.
- Pour into serving cups. Top with desired Toppings.
- Serve this Mexican spiced hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon, grated chocolate or cocoa powder, as desired.
- For a fun presentation, look for long cinnamon sticks at the grocery store or spice market, and serve with the Mexican Hot Chocolate as a stirrer.
- Using dark chocolate chips in this Mexican hot cocoa recipe, rather than semisweet, gives it an added richness and just enough bittersweet flavor to balance out the sweetness.
- 1 Serving Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 190); Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 12g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 260mg; Potassium 560mg; Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 3g ,Sugars 39g); Protein 9g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 30%; Iron 20%
- Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Milk; 2 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet