Michelada Chicken Tacos
Drinks and dinner all in one! These michelada-infused tacos bring happy hour to you–in less than an hour.
30 Minutes Prep
30 Minutes Total
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup Mexican beer
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Muir Glen™ organic tomato paste (from 8-oz can)
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ chicken taco seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (20 oz) boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls, heated as directed on box
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In medium bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic and lime juice. Add cabbage; toss to coat.
- In medium bowl, beat beer, hot sauce, soy sauce, honey, tomato paste and taco seasoning mix with whisk.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 to 6 minutes on first side, without moving, until chicken is browned on bottom and releases easily from pan. Stir chicken; stir in beer mixture. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook 6 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Divide Creamy Cabbage Slaw among bowls. Spoon chicken mixture into bowls; top with remaining ingredients.
- Mexican hot sauce works best in this recipe. Our favorite is Cholula™ original hot sauce.
- Michelada is a drink made with beer, lime juice, piquant seasonings and sometimes tomato juice. We tested with different Mexican beers and preferred dark malted lagers for this recipe.