Oven-Roasted Pork Shoulder al Pastor
Get flavorful, versatile pork al Pastor the easy way with this 4-ingredient oven-roasted recipe.
20 Minutes Prep
4 Hours 50 Minutes Total
- 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 packages (0.85 oz each) Old El Paso™ Al Pastor Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Place pork in baking dish fat side up. Rub all over with oil. Sprinkle with taco seasoning mix; rub into meat. Pour drained pineapple around pork. Cover with foil.
- Roast 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of roast reads at least 190°F and meat is easy to shred. Remove from oven and uncover; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Shred meat with two forks, discarding any pieces of fat and cartilage as you go. Toss shredded pork in pineapple and cooking liquid to coat.
- How do you want it? For a classic taco al Pastor, stuff Old El Paso™ Stand ‘N’ Stuff Taco Shells with the pork, shredded green cabbage, diced white onion and fresh cilantro leaves. For a family friendly option, fill Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls or Old El Paso™Mini Soft Tortilla Bowls with the pork, shredded iceberg lettuce, Old El Paso™ shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sliced green onions. Or make it fancy with shredded jicama, carrot, sliced radish, diced white onion, avocado and fresh cilantro.
- We tested this recipe with 4-lb pork shoulders. If your shoulder is much smaller or larger, adjust cook time accordingly.
- Make a paste using equal parts baking soda and vinegar, then rub and let stand on baking dishes to clean up tough messes.
Nutrition16 servings (about 1/2 cup each)
About 1/2 Cup Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 110); Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 200mg; Total Carbohydrate 5g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 4g); Protein 20g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%;
Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 3 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 0.5