Quesadilla Egg in a Hole
Prep 15 Minutes
Total 25 Minutes
- 1/4 cup Old El Paso™ refried beans (from 14-oz can)
- 2 Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
- 2 slices (1 oz each) pepper Jack cheese, quartered
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons diced avocado
- 1 tablespoon crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Old El Paso™ salsa, as desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Spread beans evenly on 1 tortilla. Top with pepper Jack cheese, arranging pieces as necessary to fit in one even layer. Top with second tortilla. With 2 1/2-inch round cutter, cut hole from center of quesadilla.
- Heat 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add smaller (center-cut) quesadilla to skillet; cook 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until cheese melts and quesadilla is toasted. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add larger quesadilla to skillet. Cook 1 minute; turn. Gently crack egg into hole in quesadilla. Drizzle egg with water. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until egg yolk is firm, not runny. Sprinkle with avocado, queso fresco cheese and cilantro. Serve with salsa.
- To avoid a broken yolk or rogue pieces of eggshell in your quesadilla, first crack egg into small bowl or ramekin, then slide egg into skillet.
- Don’t like it hot? Substitute plain Monterey Jack or Cheddar for the pepper Jack cheese.
1 Serving: Calories 550 Calories from Fat 300; Total Fat 34g; Saturated Fat 17g; Trans Fat 1/2g; Cholesterol 245mg; Sodium 1010mg; Potassium 230mg; Total Carbohydrate 35g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 2g; Protein 26g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 40%, Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 6 1/2 Fat; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.