Slow-Cooker Birria Beef Tacos
- 2 1/4 cups diced white onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Barbacoa Beef Street Taco Kit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican Blend (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, mix 2 cups of the onions, the chiles, garlic, seasoning mix (from taco kit) and salt. Stir in water.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef roast in oil 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Transfer to mixture in slow cooker; turn to coat. Cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours, until beef is tender.
- Transfer beef to cutting board; cool slightly. Shred beef, discarding any pieces of fat. Toss beef with 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Place remaining cooking liquid in small bowl, for dipping.
- Fill tortillas (from taco kit) with beef, cheese, remaining 1/4 cup onions and the cilantro. Serve with salsa verde (from taco kit), reserved cooking liquid and lime wedges.
- The flavorful cooking liquid from the birria, or “consommé,” is often served as a dipping sauce.
- The shredded slow-cooker birria beef from this birria tacos recipe is also delicious tucked into a cheesy quesadilla or served over rice with some cooking liquid.
- If desired, strain cooking liquid before transferring to bowl for dipping.
1 Serving (3 Tacos) Calories 720 (Calories from Fat 370); Total Fat 41g (Saturated Fat 17g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 140mg; Sodium 1580mg; Total Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 7g); Protein 47g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 30%; Iron 30%;
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 5 1/2 Lean Meat, 4 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 3