Slow Cooked Cheesy Diablo Meatballs Recipe
3 Minutes Total
- 12 Servings
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1 to 2 chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean (at least 85%) ground beef
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ plain panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 24 (1/2-inch) cubes Monterey Jack cheese (3 oz)
- Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In blender, add tomatoes, chiles and garlic. Cover; blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Pour tomato mixture into slow cooker.
- In large bowl, mix beef, bread crumbs, onion, cilantro, milk, egg, taco seasoning mix and cumin. Shape into 24 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs; tuck one piece of cheese in center of each meatball, and seal completely. Add meatballs to tomato mixture in slow cooker; gently turn to coat.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked (165°F); stir.
- Using 85% lean ground beef ensures a tender meatball while preventing the sauce from getting greasy.
- Use 1 chipotle for a medium hot sauce, or for a spicier sauce, use 2.
- Serve with additional cilantro or sliced green onions for a pop of color.
1 Serving: Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 260mg; Potassium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 8g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 10g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Vegetable, 1 Medium-Fat Meat, 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2