Slow-Cooker Mexican Beef Short Rib Taco Bowls
Prep 30 Minutes
Total Time 8 Hours 30 Minutes
- 1 1/2 lb beef short ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso™ Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 packet (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 package (6.7 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Soft Tortilla Bowls (8 Count)
- 1/2 cup from 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans, warmed
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
Recipe Continues Below
- Coat ribs in vegetable oil. In 10-inch skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook ribs, fattiest side down first, on all sides 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until browned.
- In 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, mix enchilada sauce, taco seasoning mix and cumin. Add ribs to mixture in slow cooker, and turn to coat. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Transfer ribs to cutting board. Transfer 1/4 cup braising liquid to medium bowl. Remove bones and any pieces of fat and cartilage from ribs, and discard. Shred meat with two forks, and transfer to bowl with reserved liquid. Discard remaining cooking liquid.
- Heat bowls as directed on package. Divide refried beans among bowls. Top with cabbage. Divide shredded beef among bowls. Top with queso fresco and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- When making beef short rib tacos or bowls, keep in mind that beef short ribs have a piece of cartilage on the outside that doesn’t break down, even after hours of slow cooking. Be sure to peel off that piece and discard before shredding the meat for your Slow-Cooker Mexican Beef Short Rib Taco Bowls.
- For this recipe, ask your butcher for traditional English-style ribs instead of the thinner Korean-style ribs.
- 1 Bowl Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 190); Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 7g ,Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 690mg; Potassium 240mg; Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 1g ,Sugars 2g); Protein 19g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%
- Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Lean Meat; 3 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet