Southern Fried Chicken Taco Bowls™
No one fries chicken better than your grandmother, but she probably never thought about putting it in a taco! With a crispy buttermilk breading, Grandma won’t be disappointed that you "taco-fied" her classic dish.
40 Minutes Prep
40 Minutes Total
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (from 14-oz bag)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Montreal chicken grill seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken tenders, not breaded, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- Hot sauce, if desired
- In medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, hot sauce, ground mustard and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add coleslaw mix; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- In deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F.
- In shallow dish, mix flour, cornmeal, grill seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip into buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into dish. Coat again with flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry chicken in batches in preheated oil 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center and coating is golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined cookie sheet. Keep warm while frying remaining chicken.
- Heat bowls as directed on package. Fill each warmed bowl with 2 to 3 chicken pieces, 3 tablespoons coleslaw and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Top with hot sauce.
- Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.
- Self-rising flour is an all-purpose flour that has baking powder and salt added. This makes a crisp, light breading for the chicken.
NutritionCalories550(Calories from Fat260),Total Fat29g(Saturated Fat8g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol75mgSodium1120mgTotal Carbohydrate40g(Dietary Fiber2g Sugars2g),Protein33g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A10%;Vitamin C8%;Calcium20%;Iron10%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 4 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 4 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.