Southwestern Bean Combo
Great chili doesn't have to bubble on the back burner forever; this one goes together fast with bacon, canned beans, prepared salsa, peppers, and spices. By Betty Crocker Kitchens
25 Minutes Prep
25 Minutes Total
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky mild salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (16 oz) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) spicy chili beans, undrained
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from saucepan. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in saucepan.
- Add bell pepper and onion to drippings in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add bacon and remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat until mixture just begins to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until hot.
- This bean combo makes a great side dish to hot dogs or hamburgers. Add chips and fresh fruit for a complete meal.
- Up the spice factor of this dish by using a hot salsa.
NutritionCalories130(Calories from Fat15),Total Fat2g(Saturated Fat1/2g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol5mgSodium800mgTotal Carbohydrate22g(Dietary Fiber5g Sugars6g),Protein6g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A4%;Vitamin C6%;Calcium6%;Iron15%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.