Tex-Mex Quinoa Breakfast Bake
1 Hours 10 Minutes Total
- 12 Servings
- 2 cups Progresso™ reduced sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
- 1 lb bulk chorizo sausage
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, as desired
- Lime wedges, as desired
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, mix broth, quinoa and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning mix; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 14 to 16 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is soft and translucent. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of the Mexican cheese blend. Spread evenly in baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage, bell pepper and onions 8 to 10 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften and begin to brown and sausage is no longer pink; drain. Return to skillet; stir in milk, green chiles and remaining 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Pour mixture over quinoa mixture in baking dish.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with whisk. Stir in remaining 1 cup Mexican cheese blend. Pour evenly over sausage mixture in baking dish..
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with queso fresco cheese and cilantro. Serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
- Can’t find raw chorizo? Bulk breakfast sausage makes a fine substitute.
- Cilantro stems are tender and taste just like the leaves. To save time, chop the tops straight from the bunch of cilantro instead of picking off the leaves first.
1 Serving: Calories 370 Calories from Fat 230; Total Fat 25g; Saturated Fat 11g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 180mg; Sodium 800mg; Potassium 360mg; Total Carbohydrate 14g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars4g; Protein21g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 20%, Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.