- 3/4 cup (from 14-oz can) coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 3/4 cup (from 14-oz can) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut-flavored rum
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Taco Bowls™ mini soft flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar or coarse white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened whipped cream or 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped, sweetened
- Finely chopped fresh pineapple, toasted macadamia nuts, toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, if desired
Step 1 In 2-quart saucepan, stir coconut milk, condensed milk, pineapple juice, rum, cornstarch and egg yolk with whisk. Cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, beating constantly with whisk, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and continue to stir constantly 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in extracts. Pour into shallow dish; cool 10 minutes. Press plastic wrap on filling to prevent tough layer from forming on top. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until completely cool.
Step 2 Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheet with foil. Lightly brush melted butter on all sides of each bowl. Sprinkle raw sugar to cover entire bowl. Place bowls on cookie sheet. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until browned on edges and firm to the touch. Bowls will crisp as cooled. Remove to cooling rack to cool.
Step 3 Fill each cooled bowl with generous 2 tablespoons filling; top with whipped cream, and garnish with pineapple, nuts and coconut. Serve immediately. Store any remaining bowls in refrigerator.
NutritionCalories390(Calories from Fat190),Total Fat21g(Saturated Fat12g,Trans Fat1/2g),Cholesterol90mgSodium250mgTotal Carbohydrate43g(Dietary Fiber0g Sugars31g),Protein5g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A15%;Vitamin C4%;Calcium15%;Iron4%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 4 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Expert TipsTo toast coconut, bake uncovered in ungreased shallow pan at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
To toast nuts, sprinkle in ungreased heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown.