Vegetarian Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas
Prep 40 Minutes
Total 40 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 to 15.5 oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup original cayenne pepper sauce
- 4 Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas For Burritos (8 inch)
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend (from 8-oz package)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (8 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Old El Paso™ Zesty Ranch Sauce (from 9-oz bottle)
Recipe Continues Below
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add chickpeas; continue to cook 4 to 6 minutes or until vegetables and chickpeas begin to brown. Remove from heat. Add hot sauce; roughly mash chickpeas with fork, leaving some whole.
- On half of each tortilla, layer about 1/4 cup of the chickpea mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, 2 tablespoons green onions and 2 tablespoons tomatoes. Fold tortillas in half. Brush top of each quesadilla with about 1/4 teaspoon of the oil.
- Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in skillet, oil side down; brush top side with about 1/4 teaspoon of the oil. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn quesadillas; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla in half; serve with zesty ranch sauce on the side.
- Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Dial up the heat by adding sliced jalapeños to the chickpea quesadilla filling, along with the green onions and tomatoes.
- These vegetarian quesadillas are hearty enough to serve on their own, but feel free to serve with a side of tortilla chips for added crunch.
- This vegetarian quesadilla recipe was tested using Frank's™ RedHot™ original sauce, but you're welcome to use another variety of hot sauce.
1 Quesadilla Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 180); Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 840mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g); Protein 10g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 20%; Iron 10%;
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Vegetable, 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 3 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2