Veggie Tortilla Soup
Prep 1 Hours
Total Time 1 Hours
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 tortillas from 1 package (11 oz) Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas for Burritos (8 Count)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
Serve with, if desired
- Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- Chopped avocado
- Old El Paso™ Crema Mexicana
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 350°F. Brush 1 teaspoon oil over both sides of tortillas. Cut tortillas in half, then cut each half crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Place in single layer on ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Stir in water, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin and ground red pepper; heat to boiling. Stir in beans, frozen corn and green chiles; return to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 23 to 28 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- To serve, ladle soup into soup bowls. Top each serving with Tortilla Strips and Toppings.
- Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- To ensure even cooking, cut vegetables so they are similar in size.
- To dice avocado, cut in half, and remove pit. Using large spoon, scoop flesh from skin. Place one half avocado, cut side down, on cutting board. Make two horizontal cuts to make three planks, then cut lengthwise into strips. Turn 90 degrees, and cut again. Repeat with other half of avocado.
- Wanna kick up the heat? Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 1/4 Cups Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g ,Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 1080mg; Potassium 590mg; Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 10g ,Sugars 7g); Protein 9g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%
- Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet