Baked Queso Mac and Cheese
Prep 35 Minutes
Total 1 Hours 5 Minutes
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (8 oz)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend (8 oz)
- 4 oz Kraft™ Velveeta™ cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 1/3 cup Old El Paso™ Creamy Queso Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Pico de gallo salsa, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook macaroni as directed on package; drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Stir in flour until combined; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until simmering and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in shredded cheese, cheese cubes and chiles until melted and smooth. Stir in macaroni. Pour into dish. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbling on edges and 165°F in center. Top with chips, creamy queso sauce and cilantro. Top with pico de gallo.
- The mix of shredded cheese and Velveeta™ in this recipe ensures ultimate flavor and meltiness.
- Need a little heat? Top queso mac and cheese with a squeeze of Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce, Old El Paso™ Mild Taco Sauce, or serve with your favorite hot sauce.
- Add some bright color by layering pico de gallo onto Baked Queso Mac and Cheese.
1 Serving Calories 630 (Calories from Fat 270); Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 15g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 1070mg; Total Carbohydrate 67g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 9g); Protein 22g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 50%; Iron 15%;
Exchanges: 3 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Low-Fat Milk, 1 High-Fat Meat, 3 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4.5